The "Masía"

history

A project full of illusion that is reflected in every detail of the restaurant

“Mas Pou” is the chosen location for the Restaurant La Pahissa del Mas … and is the old family house. A beautiful 1352 house owned by the Pericay family for 7 generations and which has served as a nest to give life to this new culinary and family project.

Every corner of the restaurant has been renovated and decorated with love and dedication where you can breathe the soul of its former owners, Josep and Tresita.

Her granddaughter, Rosa Maria Pericay, together with the help of her parents José Pericay and Rosa Maria Fàbregas, wanted to leave a record of their legacy so that they could accompany them at all times on this path full of emotions and illusions that she has begun with her husband, chef Jordi Vallespí.

Baix Empordà Magazine / page 55

THE "MAS POU" AND THE "MOLINET"

NARCÍS SUBIRANA (MEMBER OF THE CATALAN HISTORY CIRCLE)

“Mas Pou” is an old house located to the north of the town of Pals, between “Can caramany del Mas Nou”, “Mas Roig” and “Mas Barceló”; according to the old documents consulted, it has been known by this name for more than 665 years.

In Pals we have several farmhouses called “Pou”:”Can Pou de ses Garitas”,”Can Pou de la Alpargata”, “Can Pou Maron” and “Mas Pou”.Of the four “Pou” farmhouses, three have nicknames, and this is because the owners of the farmhouses with the nickname lived in more recent times than the farmers or owners of “Mas Pou”.

Today we will visit the “Mas Pou” and the “Molinet” and also all the neighbouring farmhouses (half of them with the farmhouses having collapsed hundreds of years ago), and we will learn some of their secrets and their owners, farmers and jovers.

The stones on the walls of the “Can Pou” are silent witnesses to the passage of armies, bandits, carters and farmers. The lands of “Mas Pou” touched on the old royal road that went from Barcelona to France via the coast (through Palamós, Pals and Torroella de Montgrí), and it was just past Mas Roig where the crossroads of the road that went inland via Sant Feliu de Boada on the way to La Bisbal was located. The path passed in front of the “Pou” house and the “Mas Nou” or Caner, and crossed the Quermany streams, the small and the large one. It is right at the angle at which these old roads cross that the lands and the “Mas Pou” farmhouse are located. On the right side were the lands of “Mas Pou” and on the left the lands and the building of “Molinet2.

In a capbreu documented in 1352 appears a but formerly called Talent (which had a piece of land called Roquinyola field), but already at that date was called but Well. In the documentation of 1,489 consulted is still finding the but called Talent, but at that time was also called but Well and belonged to Pedro Pou and Antonio Pou “de Galella”. Specifically, the old name of the “Mas Pou” can be found in the following graphics: Talent, Talens and Taleny.

The property of mas Pou, like that of most of the masías de Pals, for many centuries fell to the Count of Barcelona, and later to the King of Spain (or of Spain). The royal procurators4 were in charge of enforcing the pacts. Through the mayor of sac they collected the seeds and controlled the other tasks that the peasants had to carry out in exchange for being able to live in the farmhouse and cultivate their fields. Normally the rent of the mas passed from parents to children and, from time to time, a capbreu was made. And it is precisely thanks to these documents that today we can know who the tenants of those farmhouses were a few hundred years ago.

THE "MAS LLENAS"

In 1671 the “Mas Pou” belonged to Salvador Parri, a royal notary, and he faced with belongings from the “Mas Riu” and “Mas Llenas”. According to the old documents, the “Mas Llenas” was situated between “Can Ruben” and “Mas Roig”, next to the royal road. The first reference I find is from March 18, 1600, when Leonard Valor died, who used to run the Mas Llenas. On November 20, 1603, the wife of a certain PARP died, said Camps, who also played the role of jover. On 20 January 1607 Puig del mas Llenas died, coming from the place of Joanetes, in the plain of Bas. On 14 July 1628, Rosa Llenas, the widow and heiress of “Mas Llenas”, died there. On 31 December 1654 a girl from Pedro Dulce of “Mas Llenas” died. On 1st July 1671, the Fuller Pere died of the Sweet Leaves. At that time, the mas was owned by Margarita Dulce, wife of Esteban hojas, a brickmaker. The mas had been called before but Moret, and faced with the mill of “Llogany” and with the “Mas Riu”.

THE "MAS RIU" AND THE "MAS" AND "MOLÍ D’EN TRULL"

In 1352 the so called “el Trull” was owned by Arnaldus de Trull and was located in the area called “Orts Veylls”. In 1489 in the “Mas Trull” there was a mill called “Molí de’n Trull” which was in the area called “la Galella”. The Trull mill (an old flour mill that during the 16th century had been owned by a certain Ros) in 1672 was already part of the “Mas Riu”, and at that date both the mill and the mas were demolished. In the 16th century it is said that the “Mas de Na Rubia del riu” faced the irrigation channel of the Trull mill and the “Mas Bofill” or Miguelete (Can Chalet), the “Mas Abril de la Pedrera”, the “Mas Cifre” (Can Delgado) and the “Mas Pou” . In March 1571 it is documented that Miquel Ros, from “Mas (Ros del) Riu”, died there. The following year his wife died, whose name was Magdalena, also from “Mas (Ros)Riu”. On March 23, 1631, Catalina Justo, wife of Matias Justo, died there. On January 27, 1659, the wife of Sebastian Huguet del “Mas (Ros) Riu” died. On January 24, 1660, Jerónimo Prats, who lived in “Mas Riu”, died.

It was on March 15, 1886 when Joaquín Isern Guss, blacksmith from Pals, and Miquel Jordà Galí, farmer, signed the deed of perpetual purchase of a field of 8 Besanas (equivalent to 174 areas and 96 centiares) of land for cultivation that was separated from that extension of land, called the Rivers field, with a capacity of 49 slopes (equivalent to 8 hectares, 74 areas, 97 centiares), more or less. It was bordered to the east by Francisco Rovira; to the south by the same estate; to the west by a public road, partly by N. Massot de Juià, owner of the La Pedrera landowner’s house and partly by the remaining estate.

The estate of the old but river was the tenth part of the inheritance called Torre Perrera, located in the municipality of Pals. In addition to the contributions due to the State, in the province and the municipality, the estate was specially mortgaged with the union of the totality of the inheritance for the amount of 16.000 pesetas (at an interest of 6%) in favour of Miquel Martinell y Soler, owner of La Bisbal, who insured and promised to cancel the mortgage on the 30th of March, the day of its maturity. The sale price of the 8 Besanas was 700 Catalan pounds (about 2,000 pesetas), which were paid in gold and silver.

The indicated inheritance of the Kennel Tower, which constituted the tenth part of the property that was coming, belonged to the II Count of Foixà (Enrique de Foixà and the Bassols). He had inherited it by virtue of the content of the deed of agreement granted with his late mother, Carmen Bassols, before the notary’s office of the city of Barcelona on 2 July 1876, in which he had been left the heir of his father, Narciso de Foixà, and of Miguel, the 1st Count of Foixà.

THE PARRA FAMILY AND THE "MAS POU"

In 1672, the documentation states that “Mas Pou”  (formerly known as Talent, Talens or Taleny) belonged to Salvador Parri. The farmhouse had a round tower built for shelter and defence. If the farmhouse had those defenses was because the lord of the place had a close relationship with the Crown, which is why it is allowed to make those defensive constructions. This was the house of Salvador Parri, who for many years was to be the notary of the “Cort Reial de Pals”.

Misser Salvador Parri, owner of Mas Pou in 1672, was the son of Antiguo Parri and Antigua Vidal. He was born in the last decade of 1500 and died in Pals on 1st November 1680. He became a Notary Public of Pals and married four times, first to Susana de Aguell, who died on 15 April 1645; on the second marriage, on 28 August 1650, to Anna Carreras (widow of José Caña), who died on 9 March 1662; on the third marriage he married Marianna Almar, who died on 2 September 1665; and on the fourth marriage, on 16 September 1670, to Magdalena Grifé.

Salvador Parri had 7 children. His daughter Margarita married in Begur on November 25, 1635 with Pere Corredor, lord of the Mas Corredor de Camargues; and Jerónima, another daughter, married in 1670 with the Knight José de Almar y Tor. When Salvador Parri died, 1680, he was buried in the chapel of the Holy Sepulchre of the parish church of “San Pere de Pals”, where the family grave was.

Family epulture. In 1672 the “Mas Pou” had a piece of land, which had previously belonged to the Doghouse Tower, called the Oller Fountain. Also in the same year, 1672, the “Mas Pou” declared another piece of land in the place called Font d’en Serra.

THE "MAS NOU" IN THE LAKE

Guillem Moret, from the Newest. On March 28th 1598 died Isabel Sardó, heiress of the house of Sardó and in Moret of the Mas Nuevo. The 12 of September of 1629 Montserrat Guardia died, lady of Damià Guardias, jover of the newest. The 15 of June of 1637 died Guerau Caner, farmer of the mas Nuevo. On January 5, 1643 died Marsal Carreras, settler of the mas Nuevo. On March 23rd 1652 died Miquel Caner, farmer of the newest house. On September 21, 1661 died Jose Pigem, newest farmer. On December 2, 1666 Anna Perrera, the newest farmer, died. On January 30th 1669 a child of Pere Riera, from the Mas Nuevo, died. On January 30th 1669 a son of Pere Riera and Caner, the newest one, died. On the 4th of January 1675 a child of Toni Raler (or rally), the newest, died. On October 26, 1719, Miquel Hostench, a settler of the Mas Nuevo del Lago, died.

In 1672 “Mas Caner”, or “Mas Nou” to the lake, was owned by Magdalena Pigem y Caner (and continued to belong to the family until 1840) 9, daughter and heiress of José Pigem (died 21 September 1661) and Anna Caner. Magdalena married Jerònim Casanovas in Parlavà on 18 June 1674, and they had 12 children. In 1735, the “Sealed of the Trees”, that had 5 kisses, faced the mas Pozo at noon, in the Lake Marisco to tramontana and the mas Nuevo del Lago, of in Casanovas of Parlavà, to the west. The Mas Caner (or “Mas Nou”) faced the Estany Marisco in the west and the road to Sant Feliu de Boada in the east with the Mas Pozo and Mas Vilarnau de la Peña (now Mas Barceló).

JOVER AND FARMERS TO "MAS POU"

In 1672 Mas Caner, or “Mas Nou” of the lake, was owned by Magdalena Pigem y Caner (and continued to belong to the family until 1840) 9, daughter and heiress of José Pigem (died 21 September 1661) and Anna Caner. Magdalena married Jerònim Casanovas in Parlavà on 18 June 1674, and they had 12 children. In 1735, the “Sealed of the Trees”, that had 5 kisses, faced the mas Pozo at noon, in the Lake Marisco to tramontana and the “Mas Nou” of the lake, of in Casanovas of Parlavà, to the west. The Mas Caner (or “Mas Nou”) faced the Estany Marisco in the west and the road to Sant Feliu de Boada in the east with the “Mas Pou” and Mas Vilarnau de la Peña (now Mas Barceló).

Anna Maria d’Almar, daughter of Josep d’Almar i Tor and Jerònima Parri, married Bassa de Calonge in Garau (Guerau), and they had a daughter, Teresa Bassa d’Almar, who married Juan Carreras Martí in Begur on 26 January 1713. Her daughter Ursula (in a document from 1840, the owner of Mas Pou was confirmed) married the military and notary of Pals Jerònim Prim, with whom she had a son, Joan, who was born on 3 May 1717. The Ursula was left alive in 1760, and she married in second nuptials, in Barcelona, with the Tinent d’Infanteria Antoni de Cabrera Ximenis. Fruit of this second marriage Ursula will have 9 children more. One of the daughters, Maria Teresa de Cabrera, married Francisco Ponach on May 21, 1782; another daughter, Manuela de Cabrera, married Carles d’Ametller on November 18, 1800, and they became partners of Antoni d’Ametller and Narcís d’Ametller, General Captain of Granada. And one of the sons, Antoni de Cabrera, married 3 vegades, the first with Victòria Grassot, a son of the Begur Notary; in second place, on July 1, 1782, with Teresa Pagès (the life of Ignasi Ponach); and for the third time, on 5 September 1786, with Josepa de Ciurana i Ros (member of the Cavaller de Pals Antoni de Ciurana i Moret and Margarita Ros i Comas del Brugar, member of the Ros i Comas del Brugar family).

THE WAR OF THE FRENCHMAN AND "ANTONIO DE CABRERA"

During the French War, Julia de Bolívar, Brigadier of the Royal Armies, Lieutenant to the King, Governor of Girona and President of the Board of Governors of Girona and the Corregimiento de Gerona, ordered on 26 December 1808 that one third of all the jewellery and silver objects of all the bodies and individuals of the Corregimiento de Girona and also of the Corregimiento de Figueres (included within the Corregimiento de Girona), both ecclesiastical and secular, and that which was not necessary in the churches, due to the lack of capital, be handed over to the troops and to acquire items for defence. They also wanted it to make a new silver coin to replace the one that was common at that time in the Kingdom. They made hardbars (worth 1 pound and 17 salaries) with the inscription of Fernando Séptimo on one side and Gerona on the other in 1808. One “duro”(a coin).

Antonio de Cabrera (son of Úrsula Carreras) handed over all his silver, which weighed 9 Spanish pounds. The church of Villa de Pals also made the obligatory contribution: it gave an image of the Virgin of the Rosary, with her crown, another image of the baby Jesus, with a silver foot, two PACES (religious ornament), two candlesticks, a cross in 12 pieces and a reliquary foot weighing 234 ounces.

Antonio de Cabrera and Josepa de Ciurana were the parents of Ramon de Cabrera and Ciurana, married to Clara Vidal Bou, daughter of the Notary of La Bisbal. In 1861 the wastelands of Mas Vilarnau bordered on the lands of “Mas Pou”, which at that time was owned by Ramon de Cabrera, grandson of Úrsula Carreras.

THE "MOLINILLO" OR "MOLINO D'EN LLOGANY"

Antonio de Cabrera and Josepa de Ciurana were the parents of Ramon de Cabrera and Ciurana, married to Clara Vidal Bou, daughter of the Notary of La Bisbal. In 1861 the wastelands of Mas Vilarnau bordered on the lands of Mas Pou, which at that time was owned by Ramon de Cabrera, grandson of Úrsula Carreras.

In February 1576 Pablo Ralló died at the mill at Llogany. In August 1583 Doña Zarbana died, also at the mill at Llogany. On January 8th 1604 Francisco Romaguera, who lived at the mill at Llogany, died. On 21.st November 1629 Bosque’s wife died, jover from the mill at Llogany. In those data the quintà11 of the mill was located very close to the building.

The “Mas Llogany”, or “Molinet2, in 1911 belonged to José Pericay Jofre, who had also bought the “Mas Pou”. “Mas Llogany” or “Molinet” de “Llogany” was the same mill that is now called Molinet, and is located in the middle of “Mas Pou”, “Mas Roig2 and “Can Caramany”. During the 1950’s and 60’s the Farró family lived there, and in the 90’s they made another extension to the mill, which made it unrecognisable. Today it is known by the people of Pals as El Molinillo, and this is what has given its name to the neighbourhood of the same name (“El Molinet” neighbourhood).

The mill at “Llogany”, or “Molinet”, had a raft. Until the 1960, it was located on the left side, in front of the building. The water came from the area of La Matrona after passing the mill of Galo (owned by the “Mas de la font”), below the royal road, and watering the garden of Can Moninch. Then the surplus water went to the drainage irrigation, which ran through the old farm of “Mas Riu”, passing a few meters on the left side of “Mas Pou”, to the stream that came from Quermany.

NOTES: 1.- I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CARRY OUT THIS WORK THANKS TO THE WORK THAT MY FRIEND AND TEACHER ANA MARIA CORREDOR Y PLAJA HAS DONE FOR YEARS. FOR YEARS HAS BEEN COLLECTING INFORMATION ABOUT ALL THE FARMHOUSES AND THE PLACE NAMES OF STICKS, AND ALSO ABOUT HUNDREDS OF FAMILY TREES THAT I HAVE BEEN MAKING OF ALL THE FAMILIES THAT LIVE AND HAVE LIVED IN THE VILLAGE DURING THE LAST 500 YEARS. 2.- THE Jover WERE THE WORKERS WHO WORKED WITH A PAIR OF UNITED ANIMALS, NORMALLY BULLS OR MULES, BUT IF THEY DIDN’T HAVE COWS ALSO. 3.- DOCUMENT OR VOLUME CONTAINING THE DECLARATIONS OF GOODS MADE BY THE VASSALOS OF A LADY, AS WELL AS THE CHARGES THAT THEY CARRY. 4.- ROYAL OFFICER WHO TAKES CARE OF THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE ROYAL ESTATE AND OF COLLECTING MONEY FROM THE ROYAL RIGHTS, confiscation, ETC. 5. OFFICIAL IN CHARGE OF COLLECTING LEGAL RIGHTS AND TAXES. 6. TREATMENT TO BE USED IN THE NAME OF WOMEN WHO ARE MARRIED OR WIDOWS AND IN THIS ECONOMIC POSITION, OR WHO ARE NOT MADONES OR LOVES. 7. IN THE DOCUMENTATION THERE APPEARS ALSO A REFERENCE IN THE MOST WELL WITH THE NAME HUALGUER, WHICH I SUPPOSE COULD BE A REFERENCE TO THE SURNAME HUGUET transcribed WITH ERRONEOUS GRAPHICS. PRESUMABLY THE MAS POU COULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AT SOME POINT MORE HUGUET. 8.- TREATMENT EQUIVALENT TO MON SEÑOR, WHICH WAS GIVEN TO PEOPLE OF GREAT AUTHORITY AND MAINLY TO LITERATE PEOPLE. 9.- EVERYTHING AND THE MAS BELONG TO THE FAMILY CANER, 1822 NARCÍS BOFILL, DESCENDANT OF A SAGA OF SHOEMAKER OF STICKS, IS GOING TO RENT FOR FIVE YEARS THE MAS TO HIS NEPHEW CEBRIÀ BOFILL, WIDOWER OF FRANCESCA OLLER. Deduce, FROM THE DOCUMENTATION CONSULTED, THAT THE OWNERS SHOULD LEASE THE MAS TO NARCÍS BOFILL AND THIS OWNER SHOULD LEASE THE MAS TO HIS NEIGHBOR. 10. A QUINTANA OR A QUINTAL IS A FIELD OR A PASTE SEES A MORE OR A POPULATION. 11. NOTE 10. 12. THE MAS LLOGANY MILLERS HAD TO HOPE THAT ALL THE OTHER MILLS WOULD HAVE MADE THE GRINDING FOR THEM TO BE ABLE TO FILL THE RAFT AND TO WORK, which greatly limits THEIR TASK.

HOURS

Monday closed - Tuesday closed
Wednesday 13h to 15:30h 20 to 22:30h - Thursday 13h to 15:30h 20 to 22:30h
Friday 13h to 15:30h 20 to 22:30h - Saturday 13h to 15:30h 20 to 22:30h
Sunday 13h to 3.30h

© 2020 Pahissa del Mas … C/ Barri Molinet N.16 17256 – Pals costa Brava – Catalunya – TELF. (+34) 972.636976 – restaurant@pahissadelmas.com